Monday 10 November 2008

Unable to have emacs working

I switched to a new client, actually a Wyse S50 thinclient, bound to a xen4 debian virtual machine. I work by opening a shell on the debian client and popping graphical application to thinclient via x-forwarding.

Debian is Etch.

emacs doesn't start properly: error is

Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

then no text is shown but only blocks.

Obviously I botched something with fonts.

Well, I must admit I turned crazy and apt-get installed so many things now I can't remember.

Ok, I fixed a unexisting symlink which arose a warning everytime a font package was installed:
warning: directory /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 does not exist
sudo ln -s /usr/share/fonts/X11 /usr/lib/X11/fonts

My xorg.conf looks like:

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/etc/X11/fon/etc/X11/fonts/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
# path to defoma fonts
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

As soon as I find a solution I will post it.

1 comment:

Francesco said...

Well, as a partial workaround I click left mouse while holding SHIFT and I choose standard: 16-dot medium